When you have a hankering for lobster - Sun Fortune

I did not grow up here in Canada. I was born in China and moved here when I was six years old. My knowledge of Canadian history was minimal at best when we immigrated over. Over the next few years I learned a lot about Canadian culture, history, and cuisine. One of the most blatant and egregious stories I was told was about the lobster business. Apparently these lovely crustaceans were once viewed upon as garbage and not worth the time and effort to trap, cook and eat. Boy how times have changed. I appreciate all kinds of lobster, cooked in numerous ways. Perhaps due to my Chinese heritage I had always been drawn to Chinese style lobsters over western preparations.


One lazy afternoon, my and a fellow carnivore friend went to Sun Fortune to observe the time honoured tradition of devouring a lobster.
The lobsters here are a good size (1.5 to 2 lbs). We had the lobster steamed with fried garlic and green onion on top served on a bed of vermicelli. Absolutely delicious! The juice of the succulent crustacean would coat the vermicelli. The meat was tender and moist and was enhance by the garlic flavour. Needless to say this went quickly.

To make ourselves feel better we ordered a vegetable dish. Stir fried beef with Gai-lan is a staple for me. The secret is the dichotomy between the cunchiness of the vegetable and the smoothness of the beef. This version features XO sauce which adds a few more layers of flavour. Highly recommended.

Sun Fortune Restaurant on Urbanspoon

Comments