Kum Koon Dim Sum ... again

After looking at how many dim sum posts I now have (including this one), I made a mental note to try either new dim sum places or not to blog about the same ones anymore. After returning from retreat we had to treat ourselves to some Asian food. I find, if I go more than a few days without some of my oriental delicacies, I tend to get cranky and irritable. Thankfully, there are usually people around me who are hankering for some Asian. Packing a car back from retreat, we meandered straight to Kum Koon.


A lot of these dishes will look familiar to one of my previous posts at Kum Koon. Nevertheless the Shrimp and Vegetable Steamed Dumplings were plump and delicious as always.
I almost cried with joy when I saw these beauties. Curry squid is one of the dim sum dishes I always tend to get, if available. Rubbery (that's a good thing, by the way) squid with smooth and spicy curry sauce.
These Pork and Chive Dumplings were as expected. The fattiness of the pork is cut nicely with the sharp flavour of the chives.
We noticed a new item on their carts. When asked we were pleasantly surprised to find Xiao Long Bao. I want to be clear here: these are NOT xiao long bao (i.e. Shanghai soup dumplings). These were just disappointing pork and cabbage dumplings. No soup, no thin skin, no deliciousness.
The Ha Gow (shrimp dumplings) were better this time. Only one of the four was stuck to the bamboo =).
The pork ribs were fatty and rice. Finished with the typical black bean sauce, definitely a well executed dish.
Marilyn loves Egg Tarts so we got these for the table to share. A crisp tart with smooth egg custard in the middle. As expected.
Shrimp Rice Noodle Rolls were the same as before. Silky smooth rice rolls with juicy shrimp finished with soy sauce. One of Marilyn's favourites as well.
Boy we got a lot of dumplings this time around. These Shrimp and Chive Dumplings were well executed. Similar to above (i.e. the pork and chive version), but the taste of the shrimp was overpowered by the chives here.
One of our group loves Turnip Cakes. Kum Koon finishes their cakes in an interesting way. These beauties are brought around on a cart, finished on flat-top and served with a Hoison sauce mixture. The crisp edges of these cakes with the richness of the taro make their version one of the best I've had.
Beef Balls here are as expected. Mixed in with cilantro and a little bit of taro gives these a nice contrast in flavour and texture.
Wanting to finish off the meal with a bang, we ordered a XO Beef Ho Fun. Ho Fun refers to the type of thick rice noodles which are fried with beef in XO sauce. I cannot fault any dish that uses XO sauce and the version here was excellent. Great ending to the a great meal.

Kum Koon Garden on Urbanspoon

Comments