A special friend visit - Sydney's at the Forks


One of the pre-Winnipeg arrangements we had made was to try fine dining when my friend arrived. Reading through Urbanspoon I discovered Sydney's at the Forks. Initially I had called in to book the chefs table for the two of us, only to find out that they only do the table for reservations of six or in conjunction with another smaller table (to make a total of six). Unfortunately there were no available parties for the chefs table, drat.


Thankfully the regular menu for Sydney's is no slouch. Featuring a revolving five course menu, the restaurant has good food and amazing views. Located at the Forks market, you cannot deny that Sydney's combines some of the best that Winnipeg and Manitoba have to offer.

Normally I do not show the butter at the beginning of the meal, but these round balls of love deserve some attention. The cream cheese butter (in the foreground) was unforgettable.
First course for me was Ostrich Tartare. Normally I do not tend to eat exotic meats but the ostrich intrigued me enough to order it. The meat had a medium tenderness between duck and chicken. Coupled with a horse-radish puree and mini-croutons made this a enjoyable first dish.


The Cauliflower Vichyssoise was served nicely here. Classically a leek pureed soup served cold, Sydney's serves the soup in a small container (in background) which was poured on top of a bed of pureed pencil leeks. My dining companion thought this was nicely done.
My appetizer course was termed Israeli Couscous & Squid Ink Risotto. Served on top of the risotto were a few links of poached squid. Overall the ink has a dramatic visual effect but a subtle flavour profile. The risotto was nicely done and el dente but I found this lacking some seasoning.
My dining companion's appetizer course was the Pork Cheek Terrine served with a dashi poached pear. The terrine was absolutely wonderful. Flaky tender pieces of pork surrounded with a crispy panko coating.


My main was a oven roasted Pork Loin. Served on a bed of rice, cauliflower kimchi and a spring roll (to the right of the picture). The accompaniments, kimchi and spring roll, were average at best. The star of the dish, appropriately, was the pork loin. Soft, tender and wonderfully seasoned.
My dining companion went with the Brown Butter Basa with chili jackfruit salsa. He was utterly delighted with the basa, so much so I had to steal some for a taste. The fish was flaky but buttery smooth and melt in your mouth.
Dessert came to me with some trepidation as I was quite full and concerned I would not have enough room to fit this in. I went with the Carmalized Apple Galette with maple bacon ice cream. Initially I thought this an odd combination but the maple bacon ice cream added a smokiness and sweetness to the apple. Needtheless to say, I finished this.
My companion went with the Creme Brulee, a classic. He asserted no complaints with Sydney's rendition.

Sydney's at the Forks on Urbanspoon

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment