Winter soul food - ramen at Kazoku

Winter is coming to Winnipeg. That brisk feeling in the morning that requires you to get a pep in your step, that chill you get when you realize you should have bundled up more, and the white flakes of precipitation falling from the skies. Okay so I am exaggerating a little bit, as it was a, somewhat, balmy day in Winnipeg.

There remains the need for me to work and remain busy. After finishing up at the hospital, I ran over to Costco to grab a set of winter tires I had ordered for the upcoming season. Unfortuantely it just did not feel cool enough to justify me putting the beauties on. Thankfully, Costco allows you to take the tires and return a later time to install them.

Needless to say, I was hungry and in need of good ol comfort food. Recently I was told about a good ramen place in Winnipeg. And thus with my trusty winter tires in the back, I made the trek down to Kazoku.
Kazoku features ramen tuesdays which discounts all their bowls to $10.99. Feeling greedy, I ordered the Spicy Garlic Seafood Ramen. Out came a heaping steaming bowl. Overall the broth was tasty with a nice spicy and creamy flavour. The noodles themselves were average. The seafood was a mix bag: three big pieces of shrimp mixed in with a random assortment of frozen mussels, squid and mini-shrimp. The half-boiled egg in the middle added a much needed savoury-ness.

I could not have traveled so far just for a bowl of ramen. Emboldened I ordered a Spicy Salmon Roll. Well presented, this roll comprises of salmon with spicy mayo and a bit of cucumber. Altogether average, but I have to commend them on the fresh tasting fish.

Overall, Kazoku was average but definitely suits the bill when you have a hankering for the comforts of ramen on a cold winter day.

KAZOKU Restaurant on Urbanspoon

Comments