Tuesday Thai, Sabai

During one of my first trips down Corydon Street, I took notice to Sabai Thai Eatery. It was a unassuming looking building with a big simple sign that spoke of bold flavours and promises of delight. So after a delightfully long day at the hospital, I made the quick trek over to Corydon.


Sabai specializes in Thai cuisine. I will be comparing this to the, in my opinion, current king in Bangkok Thai. The menu offerings are a little more sparse; the prices similar. The ambiance and decor were high marks for Sabai. With a distinctly modern look, its mostly hipster clientele this evening further accentuate the chic vibe I was getting from this restaurant.
The hallmark of any good thai restaurant is their (Khao San) Pad Thai Chicken. The version here was presented artistically with the delicious noodles topped with a crown of bean sprouts.
Special mention must be made to the ground thai chilis in the foreground. I am told they are authentic from Thailand and forewarned of their spicy kick. Indeed it added a new dimension which worked well with the noodles.
Feeling a adventurous side today, I went with a Three Mushroom Panang Curry Beef as well. The most striking part of this dish was the contrast of the tender beef and the soft smooth mushroom. Overall a well done dish but lacked the punch that the Pad Thai gave.

Overall, Sabai Thai was good. My main complaint lies in the value department. While Sabai uses good flavours and presents their dishes well, I cannot help but wonder if they consciously diminished serving sizes. In a city with a laundry list of Thai establishments, it is difficult for me to recommend a restaurant with this practice.

Sabai Thai Eatery on Urbanspoon

Comments