Korean Soul Food - Kimbaek

Finishing up this rotation afforded me the ability to treat myself. My next rotation invovles being on the wards, starting at 7AM and usually finishing at 5-6PM. I figured since I am in for a lengthy month, why not check out a restaurant on my "to-do" list for awhile.

Kimbaek Restaurant is a Korean Restaurant located less than five minutes from the hospital. What immediately struck me was the aroma wafting through the restaurant. I was immediately seated and given a menu to peer through.
Gamjatang (Pork Bone Soup) is Korean comfort food at the finest. Served in a steaming bowl was three pieces of wonderfully tender pork neck pieces and potato all in a warm soothing korean paste broth. The usual version I order has bean sprouts to add some earthiness, but overall this was well done.
Eventhough I was dining pour uno tonight, I could not resist another dish. Afterall leftovers for call tomorrow! The Squid Bokum (Marinated Squid with Spicy Sauce) came out on a sizzling hot plate.
Spicy Korean bean paste with a generous portion of squid stir fried with carrots and onions. This delectable dish was perfect with rice.
Korean food is known for their banchans, or small dishes that are served with the mains. Here Kimbaek does not skimp. Offering Kimchi (in the back), Marinated Bean Sprouts (in the foreground).
Potato (in background) and my personal favourite, Seaweed in Korean Spice (in the front). The best part of the banchans is you can always ask for refills of them.

Kimbaek Restaurant on Urbanspoon

Comments