Vancouver 2015 Wedding - toshi Teppanyaki, YVR

After a feverish pace to the weekend and gaining a record number of pounds, I found myself back at Vancouver airport going back to trusty old Winnipeg. Flying in the evening meant that I would either need some food prior to leaving or some after. We arrived promptly to the airport with a good hour to go before boarding. I suggested we finish off our food marathon in Vancouver where it all began. We walked around the food court and settled on Toshi Teppanyaki.

I did not have any expectation going into Toshi. It certainly did not help when the owners of Toshi were the same as the bland Western Chinese Food stall right next to it. Lovely. The menu includes a number of quick teppan fried dishes and pre-packaged sushi dinners.
I ordered the Chicken Sukiyaki. A marinated chicken thigh finished on the teppan and served with mixed vegetables and rice. This was altogether disappointing, even for my low expectations. The skin was so soft and devoid of flavour that it was practically inedible. The chicken itself was simply average and the vegetables bland and tasteless.

My dining companion got the Sushi Combo. Four pieces each of pre-packaged salmon and tuna sushi. We felt the need to order some sushi in Vancouver and although this was better than most pre packaged variants, the tasteless and thin pieces of fish were a disappointment.

The truth is, this meal was purely for sustenance and while Toshi has many faults with its food, I do commend them on the large portion sizes and average prices. With that, we left Vancouver with full bellies and fond memories of a wonderful weekend.

Toshi Teppanyaki on Urbanspoon

Comments