Vancouver 2015 Wedding - Japadog

Before I started this food blogging gig I was a fervent fan of the Food Network. There would be days after a long day of school or work when I would return and watch hours and hours of Food Network Programming. One of my favourites (there are a ton ...) was Eat St., a show about the food trucks and stalls popping up around the major cities. While mostly based in American cities, there was one episode featuring Vancouver and their Japadog. I was hooked. The idea of taking an American classic, the hot dog and jazzing it up with extra-ordinary ingredients truly excited me. Ever since then, I had been meaning to try a Japadog.

After our walk through Stanley Park, we had a couple hours prior to going to the Wedding Reception. Making a coy request to the group, I was crying out in happiness when they acquiesced and we made our way to the Japadog store. Apparently the hot dog carts were so popular that the owners warranted creating a dedicated store on Robson street.

I was THRILLED. The aromas and tantalizing flavours wafting through the restaurant were dizzying and drove my excitement level to a frenzy. The restaurant has a large brightly lit menu board featuring their top dogs. I was impressed by the number of creations they were able to pump out the small kitchen.

I had the Kurobuta Terimayo. The dog was a pork berkshire pig product and covered with seaweed and Japanese mayo. This was divine. In all the years I have been dreaming of this moment, I was scared this moment would not live up to the expectation ... but it did! The lusciously fatty pork was contrasted perfectly with the creamy mayo and sharp seaweed. I was also impressed by the bun which was sturdy enough to keep all the delicious contents in while soft enough to not detract from the ingredients.

Another co-diner had the Okonomi. Also a berkshire pork product with Japanese mayo, bonito flakes and fried cabbage. The crispy bonito flakes (dried fish scales) had a slightly creamier taste than the seaweed in the first dog. The addition of cabbage was a thoughtful one as it gave the dish a crisp fresh flavour.

The fries were also excellent here. Japadog allows you the option of six kinds of flavours on your fries, we went with the Butter & Shoyo and the Umekatsuo (Plum & Sharp Jack). Both were excellent additions to the nice crisp fries. The Butter & Shoyo was a table favourite as it added a umami fatty flavour to the fries.

Overall this meal was exactly what I was hoping for after years of dreaming of Japadog. The uniqueness of the restaurant was what drew me in initially, but the depth of flavours and excellent handling of ingredients is what will keep me coming back ... and recommending it to anyone who will listen.

Japadog on Urbanspoon

Comments