Meeting my fellow co-workers - Stella's Cafe & Bakery

After returning from Naru, I unpacked and set out to organize my new apartment. Thankfully my amazing mom had flown in from Ontario that night to help me set everything up. The next day was the Brick delivery day, internet set-up and, most importantly, a dinner hang-out with my fellow new pediatric co-residents!

Being an out of towner, I was thankful that one of the local Winnipeg residents took it upon themselves to organize the event. Knowing very little about my next meal, I explored the world of Stella's Cafe.

But first, a word about my new co-workers. There are nine of us in pediatrics this year at the University of Manitoba. I am extremely fortunate to have an incredible group of doctors to grow, train and learn with! Two of them I had instant familiarity with as we had done medical school together, but all the others were lovely, fun, attentive and caring people. I could not have wished for anything more! By the end of the night I felt we were old friends and supported as we go through this adventure together.


Oh, and the good food helped a bit too! I had initially asked what was good at Stella's and the immediate answer was the breakfasts! I eyed the Eggs Benedict closely but ended up opting for a heartier dish.


I ordered the Ratatouille and opted to have chicken put on top. I know, I know. Ratatouille is a classic french vegetable stew with no protein in it! But I was super famished by that time and had some carnivore instincts that night. Out came a HUGE plate: a third covered with a garden salad, a third with quinoa, and a third with the most delicious ratatouille I have ever had. The mixture of squash, eggplant, tomatoes and mushrooms in a tangy tomato-ey broth was hearty and exactly what I needed.


I wish I had taken more pictures of the other dishes that were ordered, but take it from me. The Eggs Benedicts looked and smelled out of this world. I will be back for sure!

Stella's Cafe & Bakery Sherbrook on Urbanspoon

Comments