Finding Chinese - Huang Pu River Restaurant

When I have a craving, its usually for Chinese food. There are days when I find myself irritable and moody, only to realize that I had not had dim sum or hot pot for quite some time. I was hankering for some Chinese in Winnipeg and stumbled by a Chinese restaurant Huang Pu River Restaurant while out shopping with my mom.

I am often wary of Chinese restaurants because there are as many "authentic" restaurants as there are the non. My rule of thumb is to stay away from food court Chinese and to always ask (and order) from the Chinese menu. Not only do you get more variety but prices are often better (*insert guilty eyes*).

Huang Pu River was authentic, score! Upon leafing through the menu we realized it had the usual Chinese delicacies and some special dishes like Peking duck and live seafood.
My favorite "style" of Chinese cooking is in a clay pot. Often called the hot pot section (not to be confused with actual hot pot or steamboat) you often can find braised meats with vegetables in an delectable sauce. We ordered an Eggplant Seafood Szechuan Spicy Hot Pot. Mix of squid, scallop and shrimp with eggplant. Tad oily, but delicious.
To mend my guilt of eating so much oil I often get a vegetable. We got the Express Special Vegetables. Chinese mushrooms, tofu skin, vermicelli and snow peas in a starchy sauce. We finished this entire dish between the two of us.
Because it was my mom's last day in Winnipeg, we wanted to order something a little more special: Roast Duck. Although it looks quite good, the taste was mediocre. The dish overall did not taste very fresh with the skin having a "soggy" texture to it and meat tough.












Overall good meal despite the disappointing duck. Definitely somewhere to go if in a bind for Chinese but from my understanding, there are lots more places to try!


Huang Pu River Restaurant on Urbanspoon

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment