Last meal in Winnipeg 2014, Kimbaek

Having finished all my call and prior to departing back to Edmonton for a well needed break, I needed a good meal to top off my first six months here. Recalling all the restaurants I tried, the one that stuck out was Kimbaek. A homey Korean restaurant serving a mean Gamjatang, I had no choice but to cap off my 2014 Winnipeg dining experience there.
Kimbaek lies on Isabel Street just minutes from the hospital. Housing only a few tables it truly is a home run hole in the wall.
The Gamjatang (Pork Bone Soup) was wonderful as always. The spicy flavour of the soup was matched by the fattiness of the large pieces of pork. Finished with a few pieces of potato, this bubbling bowl of deliciousness represents the best of Kimbaek and Korean cuisine. I have to appreciate the large pieces of meaty pork.


Wanting to try something else I ordered the Bibimbap. Served in a stone bowl, a mixture of stewed vegetables, marinated meat and a fried egg is married with a spicy Korean BBQ sauce. Watching the egg yolk run and mix in with the rest of the ingredients was a joy to behold. Similarly so was scraping off the crisp rice at the bottom of the bowl.

Feeling completely gluttonous, I also ordered a Kimchi Pork Pancake. This was a disappointment as the pancake came out burnt. While the flavours were there, the burnt cake overtook the pork and kimchi.
The usual banchans including Spinach, Bean Sprouts, Pickled Potatoes and Kimchi. Delicious as always.

I have to hand Kimbaek the prize as my favourite go to restaurant in Winnipeg. They make a mean Gamjatang and despite the burnt pancake, still remain a go to for me. Here's to what 2015 will bring!

Kimbaek Restaurant on Urbanspoon

Comments