In search of Vietnamese, Pho No. 1

Pho basically got me through undergrad. It was there for me on those long Friday nights stuck at the library. It was there for me post-Church on Sundays with friends. It was there for me when I was piled up on student debt and needed a cheap but filling meal. It really became comfort food for me. Therefore, when I was stuck at the library doing a project on a wispy Sunday afternoon, I had no choice but to acquiesce my need for pho.

Luckily Pho No. 1 resided within minutes of the Health Sciences Centre. On the corner of Isabel and McDermot, the bright neon yellow sign beckons you forward. When you walk in you will be quickly whisked into a seat with their vast menu sitting in front of you. Pho No. 1 offers the regular array of Vietnamese soups, stir fries and BBQ rice bowls.

My marker of a Vietnamese restaurant is in their Rare Beef & Beef Balls Pho. The cloudy stock is key and Pho No. 1 delivers. A wonderfully rich beefy broth envelopes a litany of tender rich noodles. The rare beef was nicely thin and the beef balls firm and springy. Again I have to commend them on such a vibrant broth.

Feeling gluttonous (I had a whole day of work to do ...) I decided to order a Charbroiled Pork Served with Rice Paper & Vegetables. A lengthy title which, to be fair, completely describes the dish. Nicely broiled pork pieces come on top of thin vermicelli and a bed of fresh vegetables.

I am a sucker for deconstructed "make-your-own" style of food. The physical act of constructing a rice roll makes dining more of an experience. The fatty pork combines well with the crisp tender vegetables and is finished up nicely with the Vietnamese dipping sauce.

Overall I have to recommend Pho No. 1 simply because of the broth in their soups. The rest of the menu looks serviceable and houses all the staples of solid Vietnamese cuisine. Located in an accessible spot with good hours and efficient service staff, I can easily recommend it as a fast Vietnamese spot to fulfill ones' pho needs.

Pho No. 1 on Urbanspoon

Comments